Admissions to polytechnics through entrance test from next year
9 June 2011
KOLKATA, 9 JUNE: Admissions to the polytechnics will be through entrance test from next year following complaints of irregularities in the admission procedure.
Till now, direct admission was granted to students who scored good marks in Madhyamik examination and 40 per cent of the seats were reserved for them. The remaining 60 per cent of the seats were filled up by students who qualified the Joint Entrance Examination for Admission to Polytechnics (JEXPO).
From 2012-2013 academic session onwards, all students would be admitted through JEXPO.
Mr Rabiranjan Chattopadhyay, minister of technical education and training, science and technology and bio-technology said the decision was taken at the recent council meeting following several complaints.
According to an official of the department, it has been found that students who are admitted through JEXPO perform much better than those admitted directly. “We have thus decided to do away with the concept of direct admission completely,” he said.
Moreover, the concept of direct admission to polytechnics does not exist in any other state, he said. Earlier, complaints were also made against some polytechnics for granting direct admission to students even though they did not meet the requisite criteria. This deteriorated the overall results of the polytechnics.
There are 40 government polytechnics and 25 private polytechnics in the state.
This apart, the department has decided to replace online counselling by manual counselling from this year following difficulty of rural students to participate in the process. The counselling session will be held in Kolkata.
Online counselling was introduced two years back. sns